Yesterday, Obama hosted an online Twitter Town Hall Meeting that was as exciting as watching grass grow. The big issue in Washington is the Debt Ceiling and our ability to spend without paying back our creditors. This is compounded by the stagnant ecconomy and lackluster job growth. If a Robot can solve one of the most perplexing problems (i.e., the Rubik’s Cube) surely he can fix a simple thing like our economy..
Artificial Intelligence is one of the greatest pursuits of the modern era. Simply put, A.I. is our ability to program machines with “intelligent agents” to maximize the chance for success within a particular environment. So what would a Robot do as President? To find the answer, we need to look at past A.I. success stories. I am not talking about the Golem of Prague or even Hephaestus, but famous battles between man and machine, such as Deep Blue vs. Garry Kasparov or Watson vs. the Jeopardy Champions.
How does beating one at chess apply to real life problems that are part of our public debate? Well, look around. Everything we touch today is run by A.I., such as:
- Automatic scheduling software to automatically create better project schedules faster
- Advanced learning software that works like a human tutor in teaching one-on-one with each student
- Continuous speech recognition programs that accurately turn speech into text
- Software to manage information for individuals, finding just the documents immediately needed from amongst million of documents, and automatically summarizing documents
- Face-recognition systems
- Washing machines that automatically adjust to different conditions to wash clothes better
- Automatic mortgage underwriting systems
- Automatic investment decision makers
- Software that improves the prediction of daily revenues and staffing requirements for a business
- Credit fraud detection systems
- Help desk support systems that help find the right answer to any customer’s question faster
- Shopping bots on the web
- Data mining tools
- E-mail filters
- Automated advice systems that personalize their responses
- And many, many more…
So maybe real soon, hopefully by primary season, we will be introduced to candidate Bot.