This summer’s major hit will most likely be “Transformers: Dark of The Moon” These mega-tron hits make me wonder why most movies and fictional pictorials featuring seem to fear robotic wrath rather than celebrate their achievements. I think the answer is our insecurity with the frailty of our existence. In one moment, mankind could be wiped out with the press of a button, yet even in a nuclear aftermath sinews of steel and processing power endures. We think we are the creators, but could the genius be the fool? I think to better understand this concept, we need to see how humans are portrayed in our favorite bot flicks:
- Terminator – Planet of the Apes meets Man of Steel…
- iRobot – the Butler did it and we had no clue, that’s Will Smith for you?
- Iron Giant – we killed the one thing that actually got it
- WALL-E – humans are lazy, robots save our existence – how true!
- Star Wars – the robots play the Shakespearean comic interlude, here humans rule-
- 2001 Space Odyssey – Frankenstein complex, oy vey what did I build???
Now, your favorite & its meaning….